Monday, December 30, 2013

Thing 11: Spend Time in Maine

When I was 10ish my parents bought a small house (cabin) in the Western Maine lakes region. Growing up we spent many weekends there. But eventually I outgrew hanging out with my parents in a small cabin with no tv/internet/civilization nearby. I spent years avoiding the place because it was "boring." 

More recently I have enjoyed the time I spend in Maine and this year made an effort to go to Maine once a month. There were some months that I didn't make it up but others that I went up several times (I'm looking at you August). Now that I'm a grownup, I enjoy spending time in Maine much more than I did when I was younger. A big part of this is being able to drive and explore the state at my own will.

This year in Maine:
I went outlet shopping in Freeport. 
Took the dog for walks on the frozen lake.
Braved walking on the lake when it was all slushy.
Saw turkeys.
Mailed postcards.
Saw oreo cows.
And llamas.


I visited Screw Auger Falls.
Moose Falls.
And Snow Falls.
I put my feet in a waterfall in April.
It was cold.
I walked through snow in flip flops.
Also cold.


I saw deer.
Spent time in Kennebunkport.
Went to the beach.
Made s'mores.
Saw sunflower fields.
And fireworks.


I ate corn.
So much corn.
And lobster.
I took boat rides.
And drove countless miles up the coast.
I visited so many lighthouses.
Short ones, tall ones, fancy ones, and rundown ones.


I rode 4 wheelers with friends.
Went kayaking.
Watched the leaves change.
Scaled the tallest bridge observatory in the country.
Played in a fort with ghosts.

This year I covered a lot of miles in Maine. I began my mission to visit all the lighthouses and covered bridges in the state. I ate lots of ice cream. And I can't wait to do it all again in the coming year.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...