Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Typical Day in 3rd Grade

Today I was indirectly proposed to by an 8 year old, publicly shamed for not being married, and called Mama

During reading, we read The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco; a story that follows a quilt through multiple generations. In the book, the quilt is used as a huppa at a wedding. The bride receives a gold coin, a flower, and salt from her fiance. I asked my group what most men give women when they want to marry them. Student A replied, "a diamond ring" then dropped down to one knee and said, "will you marry me?"

Then (a different) Student A raised her hand to ask if I was married.

And then...(a third) Student A* yelled across the room, "NO SHE ISN'T BECAUSE HER NAME IS MISS C NOT MRS. C!"

Later in the day, the second Student A walks towards me with her paper and calls me Mama. She immediately flushed and was so embarrassed that she walked away. This isn't the first time it has happened and it certainly won't be the last time.

And finally, some of my favorite student work samples from our nutrition homework.

Future vegetarian.

Future heart attack victim.

* In my class of 20 students there are six students with "A" names...obviously because it is the best first initial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...