Sunday, March 4, 2012

#3

Bike a marathon.

First off...26.2 miles is a LONG way! I have so much respect for anyone who has ever run a marathon. I follow several bloggers who were running the Rock and Roll NOLA marathon today so I decided that if they could RUN a marathon, I could certainly bike that distance.

In terms of training, I did none. Previously, the longest distance I had biked was 12 miles back before February vacation. I knew that I could make it 13.1 miles but I really wanted to accomplish the full distance.

Thoughts:
Mile 1: I got this.
Mile 8: I can’t feel my toes.
Mile 10: My lady bits hurt.
Mile 13: Made a half marathon…keep going.
Mile 17: I’m never going to make it.
Mile 18: My whole world hurts.
Mile 19: I’m never going to make it but I’ve gone too far to give up.
Mile 20: Okay, I can finish this.
Mile 21: I’m STARVING. Is it possible that I did something athletic enough to require fuel beyond water?
Mile 24: Why isn’t this over yet?
Mile 25: Oh my god I’m going to be sore tomorrow.
Mile 26: I can’t feel my toes, feet, legs, or lady parts.
Mile 26.2: Wow.


The first step off the bike was a doozy but I'm proud of myself for sticking to my goal and pushing through the pain, boredom, and exhaustion.
I definitely want to complete this goal AGAIN on a real bike outside. Bruce Freeman Trail anyone?
   

4 comments:

  1. how long did it take you to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 127 minutes. 2 hours and 7 minutes. It was a long time. Elite runners can run marathons faster than I biked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOO proud of you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...