Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Thing #6

Support a cause I believe in.




What is Stink Week?

Stink Week is a fundraiser started by a student at my school. His sister is deaf and his family works with the Decibels Foundation to promote awareness and raise money for hearing loss. For one week, participants wear the SAME shirt to create a stink while raising money. My class and I are raising money for Team Gavin!



When is Stink Week?

This is the second annual Stink Week. It takes place from February 1st - 8th.

Why did I choose Stink Week as my cause to support?

When I first started working at my current school, I worked with a student with degenerative hearing loss. Riding on airplanes, hitting her head the wrong way, or merely waking up could leave her deaf. In doing some research I was stunned to find out that many insurance companies consider hearing aids for children "elective" and therefore won't cover the costs. It seemed crazy to me that the only thing keeping some students from performing their best in school was the fact that their parents may not be able to afford hearing aids.

Hearing loss stinks...so why can't I? I'll be wearing the following shirt for an entire week (I haven't decided if I'll wash it yet).




What can YOU do to help support me and the Stink Week cause?
  • You can make a donation on my fundraising page. You can donate $5.00 or $50.00. Any little bit will help support Team Gavin.
  • If you are unable to donate at this time, you can help in my fundraising efforts by sharing Stink Week on Facebook or by email.
  • Tell people about Stink Week.
  • Educate yourself about hearing loss. You might be surprised by what you learn!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...