Saturday, November 6, 2010

When Holidays Attack

Happy Holidays!  Confused?  Yeah...me too. 

Back in the day, the holiday season officially started at the end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade when Santa sat waving from the final float of the parade.  You ate a lot of turkey, took a nap, and mapped out a shopping strategy for Black Friday.  November was spent raking leaves and resisting the urge to unpack boots and mittens. 

However, there have been many signs that the holiday season is already upon us.  On Tuesday of this week, Starbucks broke out the seasonal, red snowmen cups.  On Thursday, I heard Christmas carols in 3 separate department stores.  And on Halloween night...which is in OCTOBER...K and I saw a fully decorated Christmas tree in someones living room.  (For fire safety reasons, I hope it was a fake tree.)

All of these things have alerted me to the fact that I have missed the beginning of the holiday season.

Which lead me to two thoughts:
1. Where am I ever going to find a 53-day advent calendar?
2.  I should get started on my holiday cards...even though I only mailed Halloween cards 10 days ago!

My Halloween cards consisted of a sticker on the front of a pre-made card.  For my holiday cards I have much bigger plans...plans that include linocut prints.  To make linocut prints you use really sharp tools to carve designs into linoleum blocks.  As with most other activities involving sharp objects, it turns out that carving linoleum blocks is a full contact sport when I am involved.


So if you are fortunate enough to receive a limited edition holiday 2010 card from me, know that I put my blood, sweat, and tears into it.  Maybe this is the universe telling me it's not quite time for holiday cards, twinkle lights, and the movie Elf.

For now, holiday cards are on hold and I will be recovering in sweats in front of the tv.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...