Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Why I Can't Sleep: POTUS Edition

Truth:  I wish I could list the names of all 44 Presidents of the United States of America (or POTUS).  Merely listing POTUS names tends to lean more towards trivia rather than knowledge of the history of my country...but hey...a girl's gotta start somewhere.

In elementary school some classes learned a song that listed all the POTUS names in chronological order.  My class did not.  (However, I can name all 50 U.S. states in alphabetical order because of the song Fifty Nifty United States.)

If I put pen to paper right now I could probably name 28-30 POTUS...which is only 68%...pretty pathetic.  But before you judge me I challenge you to stop reading and write down as many POTUS names you can think of.  How many did you list?  (If you teach U.S. History you are excluded from this challenge.)

In my head I group presidents into random categories which leads to both repeating and forgetting a lot of names.

Starting at the present and listing chronologically backwards I can name:
Obama
Bush
Clinton
Bush
Reagan
Carter
Ford
Nixon

I can also list repeat last name presidents such as:
Lyndon Johnson
Andrew Johnson (then I remember Andrew Jackson)
Teddy Roosevelt
Franklin Roosevelt
George Bush
George W. Bush
John Adams
John Quincy Adams

I know some early presidents:
Washington
Adams
Jefferson
Madison
Adams

There are the presidents known by their initials:
LBJ
FDR
JFK

Assassinated/Important presidents:
Lincoln
Kennedy
Garfield
(and I know there was a fourth president that was assassinated but I can never remember his name)

Then there are presidents I know by name for random reasons:
Eisenhower and Hoover (war?)
Millard Filmore (?)
Taft (was fat)
Polk (I always think he was the one with polio because of the letters in his name)
Van Buren (because I went to school with a Martin Van Buren)
William Henry Harrison (he gave a long inaugural speech, caught pneumonia and died)
Grover Cleveland (he was president for two terms but not in a row so he counts twice)

And...that's about it.  I know I'm missing about 14 or so.

Incidentally, there are also people who I think were president that were not...Sam Adams, Paul Rudd Revere, Ben Franklin and Alexander Hamilton (because the last two are on our money.)

Someday Amy, someday.  Maybe I need flashcards...or that song.

3 comments:

  1. There is an awesome Animaniacs song (You Tube - Animaniacs - Presidents) that lists all of the presidents in order and some little piece of trivia about them (Like' "Grover Cleveland really fat, elected twice as a democrat" or "James Madison never had a son, but he fought the war of 1812"). It's a fun song to memorize and it REALLY helps with remembering your presidents :). It only goes through Clinton - because that's when Animaniacs ended - but it's easier to remember recent ones :).

    -Crislyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll have to check it out. Someday I will also learn all the countries via the Animaniacs song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha - yeah, I've got the beginning and the end of the countries song down, but the middle is much too fast :).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...