Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fulfilling My Destiny

So it looks like I almost fulfilled my destiny on Saturday night

Today I learned of Edward Gorey's book The Gashlycrumb Tinies.  It is an ABC book that tells of the deaths of 26 children (each a different letter) in rhyming couplets.

Behold the first line:


At least I only suffered bruises!  The whole poem: 

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs.
B is for Basil assaulted by bears.
C is for Clair who wasted away.
D is for Desmond thrown out of the sleigh.
E is for Ernest who choked on a peach.
F is for Fanny, sucked dry by a leech.
G is for George, smothered under a rug.
H is for Hector, done in by a thug.
I is for Ida who drowned in the lake.
J is for James who took lye, by mistake.
K is for Kate who was struck with an axe.
L is for Leo who swallowed some tacks.
M is for Maud who was swept out to sea.
N is for Nevil who died of ennui.
O is for Olive, run through with an awl.
P is for Prue, trampled flat in a brawl.
Q is for Quinton who sank in a mire.
R is for Rhoda, consumed by a fire.
S is for Susan who perished of fits.
T is for Titas who blew into bits.
U is for Una who slipped down a drain.
V is for Victor, squashed under a train.
W is for Winie, embedded in ice.
X is for Xerxes, devoured by mice.
Y is for Yoric whose head was bashed in.
Z is for Zilla who drank too much gin.

I have to say, I'm glad I'm not Kate:

2 comments:

  1. I think I'd rather be Katie, than Fanny. Fanny is an AWFUL name... AND leeches are gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and poor Leo! Tacks, ouch! You could add, "S is for summer who was eaten by cats," to that list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...