Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Happy 12/12/12!

A sixth grader at my school turned 12 today which totally means he should be on the news to celebrate.

During calendar, I informed my students that a day like today won't come around for another 100 years. To which one student replied, "I'll still be alive." And in my head I was all, "Um...you're wrong." But then I got to thinking...

According to this article, the oldest living person is 115 years old. So it is conceivable that my 8 & 9 year olds could potentially live until the next 12/12/12. But then I gave them a quick mini lesson on life expectancy and probability.

And then Student A not so politely said, "But Miss C...you'll be dead." Thanks kid. It's a wonderful thing to ponder my own mortality before 9:30 in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...