Friday, December 14, 2012

Today my Heart is Broken

As an elementary school teacher, I always assumed that the most dangerous part of my job was my commute. But that changed today.

While I was teaching my students how to write the letter K in cursive, other children were dying.

The tragedy that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut instantly shattered so many hearts and lives. There are kids and teachers and a principal that went to school excited that it was Friday and now their lives are over. These kids will not grow up. Their classmates will forever feel their absence. Tonight there are children who have lost their mothers and mothers who have lost their children.

And at the end of it all there are so many questions left unanswered.

How did this happen?
How do we tell our children?
How does anyone recover from something like this?
How will children ever feel safe at school again?
How will a parent ever send their child to school again?

As teachers, we practice lock down and evacuation drills at school with our students but we never expect to have to use them. Today, at dismissal, there were three policemen stationed at my school and I don't know whether that makes me feel frightened or reassured.

Today my heart is broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...