Friday, April 15, 2011

Things I Probably (Most Definitely) Should Have Learned Before I Did, But Learned The Hard Way Instead

Way back in August I wrote about "Things I Probably (Most Definitely) Should Have Learned Before I Did."  Today I bring you the follow up: "Things I Probably (Most Definitely) Should Have Learned Before I Did, But Learned The Hard Way Instead."

1. How to eat a grapefruit. When I worked in the Lex. we had new fruit Thursday. (A lot of the students I worked with had sensory issues and couldn't/wouldn't eat a variety of foods.) Every Thursday a parent would send in a different fruit and all the kids would try it. Because of my schedule I was usually the one to cut up the fruit. We tried apples and grapes and watermelon and kiwi.

Grapefruit day came. I assumed grapefruits were just bigger, more sour oranges so I set out to peel it like an orange. To this day I don't know what went wrong. It may have been extra ripe or perhaps I didn't have a gentle touch, but the grapefruit disintegrated into a juicy, pulpy mess. It dripped down my arms and onto the floor and I was sticky for the rest of the day. (I later learned it is easiest to halve a grapefruit and scoop it out.)

2. How to wash a blender. Yesterday I picked up a blender at my parent's house but it was gross so I decided to wash it.  At the bottom of the blender are some knife-like blades. Surely they come out for washing...right?


Well I unscrewed the base, and the blade part just would not come out...so I figured it didn't.  I went about washing the blender being as careful as possible.  (Amy + sharp things = disaster...always.)  I managed to jab the tip of a finger (only one) into the blades and started bleeding.  Luckily my dad got home right as I started bleeding and showed me that the blade does, in fact, come out.  (To my credit the blade was really stuck.)

Dad: 1
Blender: 1
Amy: 0

3 comments:

  1. I generally peel my grapefruits. I roll them against a hard surface with some pressure to help separate the peel from the fruit. I had a buddy from Florida show me that trick a few years back. It works for all of the citrus fruits I've tried.
    My favorite way to have grapefruit is with gin.
    I've still cut myself on the blender blade a few times after having removed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i could eat grapefruits/drink the juice but it interacts with 50% of medicines so i cant :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with George on the peeling technique...not sure where you went wrong Amy, but it sounds disastrous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...