Friday, February 3, 2012

I Am in the Twilight of My Youth*

It's Birthday Eve! My last night as a twenty-something. <---That is kind of a BIG DEAL! Although what is even more of a bigger deal is that by turning 29+1, I am actually beginning my 4th decade on this planet!

In case you were not aware, I've been anticipating freaking out about this birthday for the past year 10 years of my life. I always assumed that by 29+1 I would be settled in a career, married, a property owner and possibly thinking about having kids. Instead, I find myself still figuring things out...on all fronts. And...this may surprise you...but I think I'm okay with that.

I've always done things at my own pace, in my own convoluted way so why would I think major life decisions/milestones would be any different? I'm slowly coming to accept the fact that I should not compare my life circumstances to others and certainly not against a number. <---Evidence of me growing up!

Tomorrow, I officially become a grownup. Remember that Britney Spears song, "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman"? Well tomorrow, I move from the girl side to the lady side of that equation.

As Dirty Thirty weekend is about to commence I would like to summarize the last 10 years...bullet style.

  • Transferred from UVM to UMASS.
  • Studied abroad in England.
  • Traveled to Spain, Italy, Scotland and Ireland.
  • Spent a final summer at camp.
  • Earned a Bachelor's Degree.
  • Moved home.
  • Worked retail for the first time.
  • Realized I wanted to be a teacher.
  • Earned a Master's Degree.
  • Got my first "real" job.
  • Got my second "real" job.
  • Moved out of my parent's house.
  • Lived alone for the first time.
  • Spent 6 short months as a 4th grade teacher.
  • Started a blog.
  • Spent 12 long months unemployed.
  • Made The List.
  • Returned to my second "real" job.
  • Made some new amazing friends.

Here's to the next 10 years being even more awesome!

Read last year's birthday post here.

* Ryan Adams sang this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...