Sunday, October 28, 2012

Batten Down the Hatches

A storm's a comin'. A Frankenstorm to be more specific. A category 1 hurricane that is basically going to miss Massachusetts to be even more specific.

Now you may be asking yourself...why is New England getting a hurricane during the last week of October? Good question. And I believe the answer to that is global warming.

Last year on October 29, we were surviving a blizzard. Heavy snow took down limbs and trees that were still covered in leaves, leaving some towns without power for almost a week. Halloween was subsequently cancelled. This year, the power outages and cancelling of holidays may be repeated due to a hurricane.

The mass media (including the electronic billboard signs on the highway) have been warning us to PREPARE FOR SEVERE WEATHER!


So naturally, I spent the day running, watching Gilmore Girls, cooking, and making last minute trips to Target to complete my Halloween costume.

Now, you would think I would be more concerned as the last time I was faced with a major storm threat, I was woefully ill prepared.

I did pick up a few things to help me ride out the storm. I bought some pretzels and chocolate to make yummy things, some PB&J, and cereal. Because let's face it. If we lose power, everyone that stocked up before the storm will be moaning over spoiled groceries while I nom away on my PB&J in the dark.


I don't really know what batten down the hatches means but in the context of my life, I assume it means buy some water to drink, some food to nom, pick up a library book to read in case the internet goes down, and park my car as far away from trees as possible.

I'll let you know how I fare.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...